Saturday, January 5, 2013

Day 5: Marriage + Les Mis

Today I learned...
...that "for better or for worse" is not just a line in a marriage ceremony vow. Living with a man who is in excruciating, unnatural, horrible pain is hard for me...but it is harder for him. And while it means some trying times and some real sadnesses, it's part of marriage. It may not be part of everyone's marriage, but it is part of OUR marriage. He struggles every day and yet does so much. He gets down, and I try to boost his spirits. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I fail. Sometimes I am up to the challenge and sometimes I get tired. But I love him, "for better or for worse." I tend not to talk about the "worse," specifically because it is private, especially for Rick. But like I told him last night, "for better or for worse" means I am HERE, next to him, ready to be present through his pain and his sorrow. Better together than alone.

Today I am thankful for...
...the chance to see Les Miserables in theater with my mom and my sister-in-law. It was fantastic, as I suspected it would be, having seen the Broadway show and read the amazing book by Victor Hugo. It is full of lessons and emotion. And - going along with my above lesson - as Victor Hugo wrote, and Jean Valjean sang, "To love another person is to see the face of God!"



No comments: